PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Trident autothrust system and autoland
View Single Post
Old 27th Dec 2010, 22:27
Prober

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"Droops" etc

“Droops” would have caused any Gripper pilot to give one a very sideways look. It was never called that.
M.92 was regularly used in base training but I never heard of it being used in the cruise. I can only imagine what the fuel flow would have been.
I have mentioned in another link, during an emergency descent (real) the stopwatch proved a rate of descent of 22,000fpm. (In BEA it was drummed into us to use the stopwatch for everything. It seems to have rather gone out of fashion now, and I suspect this is partly (?) due to the idiot proof mechanism of the Boeing offering.)
Water Injection was certainly fitted to the T2. I cannot recall it ever actually working, but have many memories of it failing during the Take Off run and having to return to p..s the rest of it out all over the tarmac. It was a rather expensive embarrassment.
Early departures from the Eastern Med were required for performance reasons, but I remember one close shave due temperature. The flight (T3 IIRC) left Luqa in the cool of the dawn but at 1500ft nearly fell into the sea. It was fortunate that 24 was in use and there was sea to descend to! There was a very acute inversion at 1500ft in the order of 20C and the results were dramatic to say the least.
For FlamantRose, I flew into Le Bourget in both the Vanguard and the Trident and remember the lovely smell of many sticks of real French bread in the flight deck on the way home. I don’t remember 5 APU’s but the Boost Engine was often referred to as just another APU.
Prober