PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Harbour Air - proposed Irish seaplane operator
Old 27th Dec 2010, 21:48
corsair

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Actually I do believe there is a market for a floatplane operation in Ireland particularly the west coast. Ignore the C172, they don't even own it. It will be replaced quite quickly. Their route plans are quite optimistic to say the least but there's no harm in that. Realistically they will concentrate on the west coast initially. There is no reason a floatplane operation won't succeed here. It has succeeded elsewhere.

They have been badly delayed by the planning process. The usual suspects lined up with spurious and malicious objections. Believe me I have experience of that in the locality. But that hurdle has been crossed now so we can expect something in 2011.

I do believe that Galway will be their most productive outpost. It has a lot of tourists and with the Aran Islands and Connemara nearby there is a ready market for scenic tourist flights. Plus there are plenty of lakes and loughs in the west with hotels on the shoreline. Plenty of opportunities for ad hoc charters. But their main base at Mountshannon is in the middle of nowhere. There is no obvious market there.

As for the weather, well despite our reputation for bad weather. My experience with flying VFR year round in Ireland is that while there will be interruptions it's often flyable and safe even in Winter.

I wish them luck, not only that my CV will no doubt join others in their in-tray. Flying floatplanes for a living? I'll have some of that.