PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Leaving a holding pattern
View Single Post
Old 27th Dec 2010, 18:09
bookworm

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think aterpster means that you continue a right turn until a track of 300º is achieved, that would place you in the with hold pattern area for most of the manoeuvre and WSW of TGO.
For "most" of it, yes. But you cross the axis and move to unprotected side before intercepting the 254 radial. So there's no more guarantee of terrain clearance than there is with a left turn from TGO. In practice, of course, there is terrain clearance in both cases, but as aterpster says, the pilot shouldn't use the MVA chart to make decisions about the correct procedure.

It seems to me that turning left would probably take you 4nm away from TGO over the runway and short final and over the 2,000' spots for the intermediate intercepts. Conversely turning right should keep you with the 1000' clearance buffer zone of the hold and within 5º of the intermediate (or much closer and for much longer than a left turn) and away from the 2,000' spots.
In practice, in this particular case, it does look as if a left turn takes you close to the airfield, but that should be no more a consideration in which way to turn in a charted procedure than the MVA chart. In practice the controller will be vectoring you, or, more likely these days, telling you to fly to DS430!

I'm sorry for labouring this one, but it does seem that there's still an ambiguity. If I'm inbound on track 343 to TGO on the REUTL4A arrival and cleared for the approach with no mention of the hold, surely I'm supposed to make a 90 degree left turn on to 254, and the procedure designer is supposed to check that I can do so safely, because it's part of the classic arrival-approach depicted in PANS-OPS fig I-4-1-1 "Segments of instrument approach". But because there's a hold depicted there turning left from the inbound leg is suddenly unprotected?!

What about the other IAF, LBU? That's a left-hand hold, inbound on 178, with the initial approach segment on the 233 radial. That's a 55 degree right turn. Leaving that hold, am I really supposed to turn 305 degrees left (or more likely 330 with an intercept)?