PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Leaving a holding pattern
View Single Post
Old 27th Dec 2010, 12:59
Sciolistes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
But I've left the hold after passing TGO, haven't I?
Good question. Your intention is to leave the hold, but you're clearly still in the protected area/buffer zone (whatever it is best called) whilst you turn right. I suppose that technically, during that right turn then you still are in the hold until such time as you have crossed the inbound leg on your way to intercept the intermediate.
But hang on a moment, once you pass through the holding axis on a heading of 300, that leaves you at 5000 ft on the wrong (NW) side of the hold
I think aterpster means that you continue a right turn until a track of 300º is achieved, that would place you in the with hold pattern area for most of the manoeuvre and WSW of TGO.
Why is making up that manoeuvre (which is not depicted on the chart) guaranteed to keep you above terrain, while a left turn after TGO is not?
It seems to me that turning left would probably take you 4nm away from TGO over the runway and short final and over the 2,000' spots for the intermediate intercepts. Conversely turning right should keep you with the 1000' clearance buffer zone of the hold and within 5º of the intermediate (or much closer and for much longer than a left turn) and away from the 2,000' spots.