PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - UK Police helicopter budget cuts
View Single Post
Old 27th Dec 2010, 12:25
PANews

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Microwave revisited

I have learned that one of the items to be resolved by NPAS will be the differences in standard of microwave link between current operators.

It was said there would be a common standard, which is to be expected, but also suggested that the identity of the winner of that common standard was 'not decided' yet. Competition warning!

This sort of beggars belief.

I do not have list of who has what but at the moment there are probably 4 differing standards of analogue and digital in use and these will gravitate to one after 2012 [and the Olympics]. What is being suggested is that the selection will be open and that the fact that one company has pretty much sewn up the UK market will not count in their favour....

Not sure about anyone else but I find that hard to believe.... even if all the other cost saving measures proposed for NPAS are pretty flimsy.... converting 90% of your fleet [and the infrastructure] from Brand A to meet the alternative 10% holding Brand X, or even a wholly new Brand Y does not make any sense.

But that is the fairy tale.

Oh, and that is something else that NPAS central control will have to be wired for....