PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Leaving a holding pattern
View Single Post
Old 27th Dec 2010, 11:28
bookworm

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't see that I am missing the point at all.
I'm sorry, the way I phrased that was unnecessarily confrontational. The point is that a left turn from the inbound to TGO is either protected or not. In your later post, you unequivocally state:

Neither PANS-OPS nor TERPS permits a left turn in these circumstances.
which addresses the question, in this case, quite directly.

But the more general case (and how it applies to this one) is not clear to me. Under what circumstances is a "short" turn from the hold into the initial approach segment not permitted?

Turning to the "technique" aspect:

What I would do, assuming approach control leaves me to my own devices, when cleared via the south downwind track, I would return to TGO in the hold, then do a right turn around to incercpet the TGO 254 radial (heading 300 would be a good choice), and not leave 5,000 until established on the 254 radial westbound.
But hang on a moment, once you pass through the holding axis on a heading of 300, that leaves you at 5000 ft on the wrong (NW) side of the hold tracking up without course guidance to intercept the initial segment. Why is making up that manoeuvre (which is not depicted on the chart) guaranteed to keep you above terrain, while a left turn after TGO is not?

Originally Posted by Sciolistes
My take on [statements relating to hold buffer aeras] is that the very mention of which makes it absolutely obvious that the expectation is that aircraft are to remain within.
Originally Posted by aterpster
The procedural aspect is that the holding pattern is a right turn holding pattern.
But I've left the hold after passing TGO, haven't I?