PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - QANTAS A380 Uncontained failure.
View Single Post
Old 26th Dec 2010, 21:56
Annex14

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
%rpm - Vibration - Oil status

Since I was the one that dug myself through these ATSB graphs, I feel obliged to add on some more detailed information how I got there.
It is correct observed that the time scales at Fig. A2 and Fig A3 are not identical. The N-Graphs leap with 3 sec. from main time mark to main time mark, while in the oil graph the spread is 39 sec. Notwithstanding this deficiency it is possuble to do a correlation using a corrected time scale. I mean sec. are sec. and min. are min. So a logical sequence of events can be build.
I have used for that Excel and when I finished my listing stored it as .pdf file, which I will include into this message. Hope it works.
I would appreciate if those "knowing" would check my list and than come back and tell me what you think. My opinion, though probably not as secure as a trained engineers sight of developments, has found only one explanation left as far as the place and the sequence is concerned. The disaster started in the central ball bearing chamber. Weather it was a bearing that went through the wind or that suspiciuous bevelgear wheel that sits on the HP-shaft,just in front of ball bearing nr. 3 or - as a whistleblower told a british newspaper - a / the bearing chamber vent tube was blocked. Whatsoever it was, it started in front and only at the end of that trail of single failures the IPT disk ran into the LPT stator ring and vanes, eliminating these and itself.

Hope I was able to clarify some questions.