PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - QANTAS A380 Uncontained failure.
View Single Post
Old 26th Dec 2010, 19:32
Turbine D

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
bearfoil

Turbine D........... I have some understanding of the 972 oil system architecture, if you'd like, perhaps I could answer some questions?
OK, I am aware of, but not intimately familiar with two types of oil systems. One of which may or may not be used on the 972 engine.

One is a pressure relief system that limits pressure to some determined maximum pressure by means of a pressure relief valve in the oil pump. In other words, the pump can pump more oil or less oil based on a maximum oil pressure number of the system.

The other is a full flow system. Here, the pump would be sized to give the optimum flow at 100% operating speed and pressure would fall out as a by-product. I think in this system abnormal oil pressure would show up, e.g., high pressure - clogged oil line or plugged lube jet, or low pressure - broken oil line.

Which system does the 972 use?

I would think the oil level is measured in the oil tank which has a oil level indicator and an electronic oil level measuring system connected to flight deck instrumentation, correct?

Now depending on the system used on the 972, what happens should the oil pressure drop and the oil temperature increases as in the case of the Qantas A380?

Where is the oil temperature measured? Each sump at the oil returns? At the oil tank before being set to the fuel or air coolers?

Since the oil temperature data in the ASTB report is only one line per engine, is this an average oil temperature number of the total system?