PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Boeing in 'safety cover-up' - Documentary on Al Jazeera
Old 26th Dec 2010, 18:55
Caygill

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
the point

As I have already said, I would think that most of us who operate jet aircraft, accept that the chances of any of these aircraft actually suffering a catastrophic failure caused by these parts being built as described before being picked up by maintenance, is pretty darned slim to say the least.
I would like to consider the following:
  1. IF central structural components indeed were (had to be) assembled using force to fit, and/or modified by drilling new holes, one can assume there MIGHT occur some material fatigue prior to planned lifespan. This might be after 10 years or even 20 years, but the essential is that initial planning and calculations won't necessarily have the safety margins in terms of lifespan and structural strength.
  2. IF these problems indeed were known as now exposed and simply shuffled under the mat, doesn't this lack of integrity and transparency in safety and company culture scare you at all? What else do we not know?
Remind you about the Space Shuttle and the outcome of the accident investigations. The problems were found to be quite a bit bigger than the failing gasket or falling bit of foam. It was more a question about WHY it could happen in the first place, not so much about WHAT failed.

Last edited by Caygill; 26th Dec 2010 at 21:26.