PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - QANTAS A380 Uncontained failure.
View Single Post
Old 26th Dec 2010, 17:08
bearfoil

CAAAD

Keep an open mind, as there is no technical text accompanying the picture, by no mistake, producing judgments such as yours.

The "Misalignment" damage shows a coving at the break with the wall of the pipe. This is not the product of a drill, or bit, or jet. A drill has sharp facets at the terminus of the drilling face, not a deficit that allows for "rounding" in the piece. Notice the "lines" on the surface of the bore. These are obviously not a product of tooling, as they are irregular and non concentric, as well as being out of sync with eachother.

The rim that is missing shows a "shadow" where the pieces departed, and does suggest a problem on manufacture, but shows evidence not of misalignment, but the opposite, a concentric mill, not an elliptical one.

The most important telltale is at the rim itself, the jagged trough of missing metal that includes a particularly ugly remnant of damage, most probably due to profound vibration. This is evidence of the mate to this pipe having a loose and compromised fit, where vibration over time led to degradation of this area.

It is apparent that there was a separation under stress of this joint, at least to me, and may have signalled the initial drop in Oil Pressure.

There are no accompanying comments with this picture, leaving the door open to conjecture. I have seen damage of the sort shown in fittings of this type. From experience, I stand by my comments. Discuss??

Turbine D........... I have some understanding of the 972 oil system architecture, if you'd like, perhaps I could answer some questions?