PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - QANTAS A380 Uncontained failure.
View Single Post
Old 26th Dec 2010, 16:22
Turbine D

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
bearfoil

The time line would dispute quite clearly a cause of failure as some Oil System anomaly. Take a look. Check Oil: Pressure, Temperature, and Quantity. It is quite interesting.
I am not sure I understand your point here. If you take the chart that has all the oil data on it and then look at the other chart that gives the time line of engine parameters N2%, N3%, etc., the time of the start of oil temperature rise and drop off of oil pressure (0200.20) isn't on the time line of the engine parameter chart which starts at 0200.48. So the oil temperature rise and pressure drop started before the abnormal N2%, N3% fluctuations which began just prior 0201.00. This would indicate to me that something was happening in the oil system prior to the beginning of the "event".

I don't know the inter-workings of the oil system, or where the oil temperature measurements are coming from on the Trent 900 engine. Unless you know that, you can't say for certain oil wasn't in play leading to the engine failure.