PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Concorde question
View Single Post
Old 26th Dec 2010, 15:03
Landroger

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vortex Lift.

Does this fit the bill?

CliveL
Yes, I think it does Clive, although if I may summarise what I understand, perhaps you can correct me? The vortex in 'vortex lift' is triggered by the profile of the leading edge, both its plan and section, at increasing angles of attack. In level, supersonic, flight the vortex does not exist and all lift is generated 'conventionally' by the aerofoil section of the wing.

As the AoA increases when Concorde slows down, the vortex comes into being and becomes stronger as the angle increases, creating a low pressure tube into which the wing is 'sucked upwards' - vis vortex lift. How did I do?

These need a bit of explaining I'm afraid. They are 'oil flow' pictures - you paint the model wing with a mixture of paraffin, engine oil and lamp black and blow air over it. The resulting pattern shows how the air is flowing (or not flowing, which is its primary purpose) over the wing surface.
Somewhere between where you are catching up on this thread Clive, and this point, M2Dude posted a lovely story about Dr. Ted Talbot, lamp black, diesel oil and the American B1A bomber. I can't find the post number, but you will eventually stumble upon it and doubtless smile, as I did.

Thanks for the explanation - it was less painful than I had feared.

Roger.