PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Boeing in 'safety cover-up' - Documentary on Al Jazeera
Old 26th Dec 2010, 14:22
John Boeman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why are so many people honing in on the small part of this television programme that is just pure speculation?

As I have already said, I would think that most of us who operate jet aircraft, accept that the chances of any of these aircraft actually suffering a catastrophic failure caused by these parts being built as described before being picked up by maintenance, is pretty darned slim to say the least.

And I am sure that all that the hyping up of those three accidents and trying to connect them with the real problem is achieving, is to give ammunition to those who do not want to face the “elephant in the room”.

What appears not to be in question is that the parts supplier involved was not manufacturing these parts in the manner specified or to the tolerances required by Boeing.

What is stunning is that at the time this was brought to light, neither Boeing, the FAA nor the US government appeared to be willing to do anything about it, and instead sacked those who exposed the incredible shortcomings.

I have been part of this forum since it consisted of Danny sending out a daily email of the items that had been emailed in to him that day. I rarely choose to comment or get involved unless the subject being discussed is close to my heart or unless I know at least a little bit about it, (as might be indicated by my total number of posts). I also do my level best not to insult anybody regardless of what they write. It just isn’t worth it.

For this thread, I really think that the minimal requirement in order to make a post worth reading is to have watched the darned programme! So John Tullamarine, while I have every respect for your experience and what you do within this forum, with your admission that you hadn’t watched and didn’t intend to do so, I too found your contribution both astonishing and unhelpful in any respect.

I also thought that it was somewhat insulting to those of us who have watched it and made our comments accordingly. I am long enough in the tooth to not to be taken in by media hype about our industry thanks and my background does include three years spent studying mechanical engineering (admittedly a long time ago), so while I am no expert by a very long chalk, I am not entirely ignorant about what it is that is concerning these ex-Boeing and FAA people.

Having said all that, I really do hope that everyone reading had an enjoyable Christmas and that we all have a better year in 2011 than this last one.

Last edited by John Boeman; 26th Dec 2010 at 14:26. Reason: typo correction