PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Security
Thread: Security
View Single Post
Old 26th Dec 2010, 06:27
Sciolistes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
He mentions that ground staff just need a swipe card, I have to wonder what vetting ground staff have to go through to get such a swipe card...
The best vetting in the world would not prevent the obvious coercion that such staff maybe subjected to to take something undesirable airside. But obviously it doesn't stop there. Catering truck, spares deliveries all go through a separate entrance. One would hope that materials and catering is checked as thoroughly as the passengers and cargo? But I doubt it.

but if the "system" is good enough to 'vet' ground crew, it is surely also good enough to 'vet' aircrew ? Same system, same swipe card ? Why not ?
Not really, aircrew cross boarders and it would seem sensible to ensure anybody travelling internationally should all be screened to the same standard (pax and staff). Even for domestic travel a diversion to a foreign alternate remains a possibility. It makes sense to have one process for aircrew that covers all angles.

I reckon that anybody going airside must go through the same process as the aircrew, not the other way around.