PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - As ambient temperature rises, full take-off power will necessitate ?
Old 26th Dec 2010, 06:04
SAS-A321

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I found a good explanation that might help. Have a look at this old thread and post 2 by Old Smokey, which might give you an idea.
Flat Rated Engines.

If it is flat rated I would go for B. As with increasing ambient temperature you would get a higher EGT, RPM (N1) and thus higher fuel flow until you reach max. EGT.

Consider an aircraft at Sea Level on a very cold day. As the thrust levers are advanced, the maximum internal pressure would typically be first reached as the air is very cold and dense. The engine is well below the EGT and N1 limit. As ambient temperature increases, the air is less dense, and increasing EGT and N1 is required to achieve the pressure limit, although still below their limits. This is a situation where the engine is "Flat Rated", a rise or fall in ambient temperature will have negligible effect upon thrust, it is "Flat", with the thrust available being quite constant and governed by the internal pressure limit.
When you reach max. EGT, thrust and fuel flow will have to be reduced to keep the EGT below the max. limit. This will give you lower fuel flow, higher EGT and lower RPM, which is not an option in your question. I would go for B.

Where did you get this question from?