PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - F-35 Cancelled, then what ?
View Single Post
Old 26th Dec 2010, 01:49
Double Zero

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jeez,

When I started this thread it was for little more than 'what if' conjecture; look what's happened since then...

No-one will ever accuse me of being a gifted mathematician, but surely so much money - and R & D effort - has gone into the F-35,( alright the 'B' may have a slight question mark, personally I think will prove very useful in time ) - the CTOL variants especially would seem a lot too good right now to turn down at this stage ?

The snag of course is if by U.S. standards pitifully low numbers are ordered, making unit price frightening; I would have thought this has already happened to the F-22, are there really enough for a serious war ?

Another thing strikes me; a UK 'advisor' would presumably choose to keep Tornado over Harrier, if there are going to be NO decks to operate from, I understand the POW will not have cat'n trap ?

Making POW a hell of an expensive helicopter carrier and not much point at all now the UK F-35B is gone. I know it's already been said she'll go once the QE is around, but why wait, with no STOVL aircraft of any kind available ?

If that's correct, my original thoughts when the build contract was placed may prove correct, the 'easy to fit cat n'trap facility' is to make her more attractive to foreign buyers, the only look the RN will get will be as she goes past on delivery.

I hope the F-35 survives, but I have grave doubts the UK will get any, unless we somehow get a government in the meantime.