PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PPL Cost and Where?
View Single Post
Old 28th Aug 2002, 22:50
BillClark

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Newcastle Piper Warrior blokey:
I'm off to Stellenbosch Aero Club - near Cape Town - to start SA PPL 23rd Sept. I'll let you know what it's like!
What attracted me was the Shorter field length, so more circuits in given flight time. My cousin also lives in Cape Town.
It's based in the middle of a wine growing region so I guess everyone's well careful not to crash (would give the wine a keroseney-palate and harm exports! ) The place looks beautiful.
The aircraft aren't mega-up to date, and the field has Night lighting, no ILS etc, but FACT is only about 30 miles(?) away.
At the end of the day though, I'm there to see a bit of wild Africa later on in my trip anyway - and bush flying is what I want to learn. I'm not doing an IR so am not fussy.
Also am doing a Class 1 Medical at Gatwick before I leave...£400
...on top of the SA medical you need (costs about £50)
watch this space...
...OH - and if anyone else knows anything about the great field at Stellenbosch - do they want to drop me a line? I've only just discovered this PPRUNE thing and it looks like a real goldmine of info. CHEERS!

Anyway Bru, I'm going there with an open mind, and alot of love for BBQ'd food is a good idea i reckon! Cheers + good luck + slap a wad of Boerwors (the best sausage in the world) on the Braai for me, I might be back in December, but who knows!!
Bill.