PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airbus - Flap FULL or Flap 3??
View Single Post
Old 25th Dec 2010, 19:17
Che Guevara

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
IDG

You are right except for the Control Law Change, you remain in Normal Law however the roll rate versus the side stick deflection is different because of the following:

A 5 degree per second sidestick command in in CONF FULL results in Aileron and Spoiler deflections of approximately 11.5 degrees and 3 degrees respectively.
The same sidestick command in CONF 3 results in 18 degrees and 8 degrees respectively.

Therefore the aircraft is more sensitive in CONF 3 than CONF FULL. This is the reason that some companies including the one I work for recommend the use of F3 in windshear or indeed very gusty conditions. The 'crispness' of control as somebody mentioned is for this reason.

Merry Christmas all......I can't believe I'm on here tonight....time to get off.

Finally, one of our training requirements is ensure that the pilots are aware of the of the possibility of PIO in this configuration, since we use CONF FULL still as our 'normal' Landing Configuration and the 'feel' and response is slightly different.