PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Maun, Botswana. The essential guide.
View Single Post
Old 25th Dec 2010, 14:31
Boomerang1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Overweight TO

I too experienced as a passenger an overweight TO out a small dirt strip in the Delta area. It was a 206 fully loaded with 6 passengers and lots of baggage in the belly compartment. The aircraft was unable to get airborne without the stall warning going off intermittently. What really bothered me was that the stall warning continued to sound during the initial climb. I noticed that the oil temp and cyl. head temps were at redline for the entire climb. The outside temp on TO was 40C.

I felt really stupid not asking the pilot to show me the weight and balance calculation prior to getting on the aircraft. This is not the way to fly a charter aircraft. The operators must just love getting inexperienced pilots so that they will continue to operate in a stupid unprofessional manner.

When I confronted the pilot after landing about the high engine temps, his response was that the engine was fresh out of overhaul and running hot was normal for this engine.

I also reported this to the tour operator and they said that the pilot should have left the baggage behind.

As a experienced pilot I will never again be a passive passenger on a light aircraft.