PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Blackbushe Memories (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 25th Dec 2010, 12:33
chevvron

Received 98 Likes on 71 Posts
In my early days at Farnborough, I moaned about the AR1 radar video map being out of date, so inevitably I was tasked with redesigning it. I ensured that Preston Candover was marked on it so we could give Peter and Maurice and any others their position in relation to it. We also had Christine's phone number (yes she was a smasher) so when the aircraft came on frequency we could ring her and ask for the lights which were operated from a large switch outside the hangar. One evening both Peter and Maurice were inbound together in IMC so it was a case of ensuring they didn't get too close to each other. There were various other aircraft including an Islander and a C340 at various times.

Trevor Jones was CFI at Aeromart when the government moved the goalposts and made airfields light industrial premises rather than recreational. The resulting increase in rates caused the owner of Aeromart to close the flying club. Trevor then got 'employed' by a chap who had started a software firm in Fleet, and they first operated a Tobago followed by a Partenavia P68. This latter had been owned by DA (or so I'm told) but he had found the door too narrow to get in and out (big bloke was DA). Next came a '421 followed by Kingairs, then the move to Farnborough with Premier Jets. Anne married Trevor during her Fairoaks days, then became involved with running Airswift/Manhattan back at the 'bushe and left Fairoaks. Both have been personal friends of mine for many years.