PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Falklands Crash Sites
View Single Post
Old 25th Dec 2010, 11:41
Edmund Spencer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jualbo
My humblest apologies for a very long delay in reply.
I don't know if Andy Auld saw the fourth mirage.
After my attack on Raul Diaz I am guessing I was heading approximately south and Andy Auld had probably slipped into a sort of fighting wing on my left side. I was definitely still at full power but had probably lost a bit of speed by pulling almost maximum g into the turn against Raul. I may have reduced power a bit as I seem to remember slamming again to max and rolling inverted and pulling as hard as I could to follow the fourth target. He was very fast and nothing I could do would accelerate my harrier fast enough to achieve a firing solution.
I had apparently called "Counter Starboard - Go" on the radio which Andy Auld took to believe he was under attack!
In retrospect I doubt that I ever had a weapon solution in the cockpit as I never even considered firing my remaining AIM9L.
This would have taken me into a hard turn to the west and I think Andy would have ended up in trail or perhaps on my starboard echelon.
I really do not know if he had visual contact with my target.
I remember unloading to zero g and accelerating as best I could and chasing for a few seconds but it was quickly obvious I was well out of weapon parameters.
ES

Last edited by Edmund Spencer; 25th Dec 2010 at 22:03.