PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - DUBLIN - 2
Thread: DUBLIN - 2
View Single Post
Old 25th Dec 2010, 10:49
Callsign Kilo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
For those seeking to blame individual operators over the problem at DUB over the last few snow filled weeks heres some operational insight.

The airport duty manager will close the main runway at a drop of a hat under the advise of the airport fire authorities. It is always a minimum of four hours for clearing. You tell me any other airport in the world which takes a minimum of 4 hours to clear a runway just over 2600m long after it has stopped snowing? Ok I understand that continual or sporadic snow causes additional problems, however you still do not require the length of time that the snow clearing teams at DUB actually took.

I was sitting on the ramp last week observing the commotion over the r/t. There must have been around 15 a/c awaiting departure. It was clear by looking out the window that the runway would be closed. Crew were asking Delivery what the status was with regards to delays and potential closure; they had seen the writing on the wall. All credit to ATC, they were being pushed; yet they reacted as professionally as possible, given the limited information that they were being supplied. Bare in mind that people were making operational decisions based on this information - boarding passengers, de-icing, fuelling etc.

Finally the runway was closed due to contamination. A minimum of 4hrs was given. This eventually was extended. The very fact that the runway was closed meant, fairly obviously, that no arrivals or departures could occur. Yet the airport fire service proceeded to waste time in order to gather information on the depth of contamination. I couldn't fathom the reason for this. They had closed the runway, it required to be cleared - so clear it!

Last year I witnessed a deicing team at NCL clear a runway to a required width (30m) and a required depth (3mm - however we can take up to 13mm dependent upon weight and thrust rating) in under 10mins. The runway is 2500m long. I would very much doubt the authorities at DUB were aware that most operators using medium haul a/c could take 30m width and up to 13mm depth. It was fairly obvious because during the day in question they became obsessed with the fact that the last 2/3 of the runway had patches of contamination of up to 20mm and had ATC report it on several occasions after it was measured. 2/3 of the runway at 20mm! As soon as the measured over 13mm (or anything close to it) they should have known that was it. Times a wasting you had better get clearing!!

I don't know what procedures regarding snow clearing at DUB actually are. But judging by what has occurred and the length of time that it actually took not only this year but indeed last; something needs to be seriously overhauled. The DAA cannot play roulette and simply say that the weather was freakish and is unlikely to occur again. It has been two years in a row now, has cost millions of euros and cost massive disruption. The DAA are already gambling with a reputation that has taken a massive kick in the you know whats.