PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Leaving a holding pattern
View Single Post
Old 25th Dec 2010, 06:37
aterpster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
bookworm:

which is a 90 degree left turn on reaching TGO. If you're prepared to make a 90 degree turn transitioning at the IAF from STAR to initial approach segment, why wouldn't you make a 154 degree turn from the hold to the initial approach segment?
No doubt the TGO hold is not part of the ILS Rwy 07 IAP. It is a general purpose hold, which could be used to absorb an arrival delay for the conventional arrival route over TGO. It is probably more likely used to park a missed approach although it is not a part of the missed approach, per se.

Let's say I am parked there on arrival or after a missed approach and am going to proceed on the south downwind leg for an approach (or another approach after a missed approach hold). This gets into technique as much as procedure since this is not a course reversal hold. What I would do, assuming approach control leaves me to my own devices, when cleared via the south downwind track, I would return to TGO in the hold, then do a right turn around to incercpet the TGO 254 radial (heading 300 would be a good choice), and not leave 5,000 until established on the 254 radial westbound. You will be within the holding pattern protected airspace until you are within the downwind track protected airspace.