PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Sony VAOI notebook?
View Single Post
Old 28th Aug 2002, 21:16
PAXboy
Paxing All Over The World

Received 62 Likes on 50 Posts
I have owned a C1-XD for 2.25 years, this is sub-A4 notebook with the mini-camera. Several points and all UK based.

1) The basic idea of a 'time-bomb' is scaremongering.

2) I like the machine a lot. I wanted the smallest and lightest machine available at the time and Tosh had just stopped the Libretto. I have always liked and been satisfied with Sony gear.

3) Mine arrived with Win 98 as was then current. 99% of the problems have been down to that heap of kak software. But I have the same problem that, Sony will not provide a software upgrade path. So if I upgrade my own O/S (piece of cake) I lose battery monitoring and have to hunt around to find the right drivers for IR and USB etc. so have stuck with 98. To counteract the inherent instability of 98, I have many ways of saving and backing up files, all of which require more equipment and money. Since Win 2K was around GBP100, I expected to pay a premium for the Sony edition with more software and drivers, say GBP140 and I would have paid. But they do not even have such a thing.

4) That said, I have used it on commercial projects (I am self employed) and it works a treat. If I could PAY Sony money for a revised O/S - I would but they will have nothing to do with it!!! In my view, this is a crushingly stupid attitude. (see below)

5) I did not buy my lap-top for the camera but have found it very useful on a number of occassions, to my surprise.

6) The hard drive died suddenly (like VERY suddenly) in May. I think it was due to a colleague inadvertently bashing the machine when it was running but could not prove it. Sony offerred GBP 290 to collect, replace and deliver by courier with a guarantee. They would have taken "up to two weeks". I found a suitable web site, bought a replacement disk for GBP 65 and did it myself. They have NO IDEA what it means for a self employed person to be without a lap-top by which he earns his mortgage money. Their customer service organisation might be OK for TV and video but not for PCs.

7) The shop where I bought it said, "Sony will not give us so much as a case screw - they want to do everything and charge for everything. We cannot even get replacement/spare batteries for customers."

8) A friend who bought an 'F' series is thrilled to bits with it, as are friends who have other models. My problems might be greater because the sub-notebook format requires more O/S tweaks to make it work.

9) I had a problem with two of the key caps and (long story) they broke off My fault. Rang Sony and was expected to be charged a high price for two measly pieces of plastic and postage. "We do not sell key caps, you will have to buy a new keybaord for GBP149." As a result, I have two keys with no caps. Had they have charged me even ten pounds each - I would probably have paid up.

10) I am about to buy a PDA and was drawn to the new Sony (with mini-cam) when I tried it in the shop. However, my experiences with Sony non-service for my lap top mean that I shall not buy a Sony PC again. When this unit dies a natural (or otherwise) death, then I shall have to find another. I see that Siemens produced a similar A5 format unit last year. I continue to buy Sony TV and video equipment.

Writing out that little list has made my blood boil

Last edited by PAXboy; 28th Aug 2002 at 21:22.