PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - DUBLIN - 2
Thread: DUBLIN - 2
View Single Post
Old 24th Dec 2010, 16:25
Red Paddy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi Bearcat,

Just a few points.

Despite the scale of this year's snow at Dublin Airport, the scope of the operational shutdowns is nothing short of inexcusable, especially given the experience gained last winter. In that sense Ryanair is quite correct in calling for an investigation.

Firstly look at the actual snow clearance procedures at Dublin, many of which go against the international practices I have seen employed throughout Europe.

Nothing happens until a closure actually takes place. There is no continual clearance at Dublin when snow is falling. The trucks don't come out until all operations stop. Certain sections of taxiway could be closed and cleared while the runway remains open.

Partial runway clearance can still take place while snow is still falling. This seems to be lost on those giving the clearance trucks the "go".

Small scale runway shutdowns for 15 minutes per hour should be enough to maintain continual operations, with trucks ready to roll immediately if the situation dictates.

This does not happen.

There is also an insistence on clearing 100% of the runway when keeping 15m either side of the centre line clear is sufficient to maintain operations.

Also, while aircraft may not be able to accept BA Poor reports, operations can continue with any higher BA reports. There is no actual need to return 100% of the runway to BA Good in one single sweep, when it is well above the standard actually required to operate. Return the runway to say BA Medium and use small scale 15 minute closures thereafter to continually improve it's condition, therby reducing the downtime and minimising diversions. Aircraft simply do not carry enough fuel to hold for 4 hour stoppages. Diversions have massive knock on scheduling implications.

The level of preparedness must also be called into question. The de ice fleet at Dublin looks quite lightweight in comparison with other airports. It also seems this year the DAA spent some money hiring in a fleet of privately owned snow plough equipped tractors for apron and stand clearance. A few nights ago during a closure with heavy snowfall they were sitting idle.

Airports with much heavier snow falls and much more sever temperatures manage to maintain somewhat continuous operations, so it is absolutely correct for an airline to call into question an airport's handling of the situation when there are seemingly obvious flaws in the methods employed.

In early October I witnessed the de ice fleet out on runway 11/29 for a practice run. My feeling was that there might actually be a proper plan in place this year. There has been an improvement in the estimated reopening times, however everything else seems the same.

One wonders did any consultation take place with airports further east and north who have vast experience in this area? Seems like a simple idea. Review and amend Dublin's contingency plans accordingly.

I have to admit being caught offside myself this year. I was forced to go in search of a snow shovel to clear a path for my car. I was informed on arrival at my local branch of a well known DIY chain, that while they had recieved a shipment of same that morning, a (desperate) DAA had already bought every last one!

Says it all!

Happy Christmas!