PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Quit Aviation Now. There are No Jobs
View Single Post
Old 24th Dec 2010, 14:11
Phalconphixer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
flame_bringer...
That said I think he still has a potential I know his age could be a stumbling block onto getting an apprenticeship but he can still get in as a technician and work his way up to engineering if he really wants to, Tries hard enough and stop being a pessimist.

I think its the only way...

whissper
Aviation Australia has only one role to fulfil.

That is to get as many students to pass the exams. That is really their only requirement. They do say that government funding is tied to job placements but the statistics can be broken down in a number of ways.

I (and others like me) feel screwed over by a system where despite doing all the right things at school, we never progress any further. Employers are discriminating (and I would say on age despite suggestions otherwise) because a 20 year old is still cheaper to employ and can be kicked harder than a mid-30 year old.
Of course you were screwed over! Along with anyone else who tries to break into this industry via this or any similar route. These schools exist purely to make money for the shareholders and that's the whole point of my post. It wasn't not a personal dig at you! Its just a huge scam; they are not in the least bit interested in your proposed career. All they want is your money (or the taxpayers via subsidies).

I came into the industry via the UK military and the training was second to none. After 12 years RAF, I then spent 10 years with a couple of equipment OEM's as a field service and trials engineer and finished with 15 years as an Avionics hangar rat with a major UK Defence contractor.

Ageism is alive and well in this biz. I found myself redundant at 62 with a mortgage. If you think 34 is a problem try 62! No-one wants to know! Early retirement was my only option.

To be perfectly honest, in your position I'd probably be talking to the RAAF about a short to medium enlistment term in aircraft engineering.
You could also try Cobham plc at;

* National Air Support (Adelaide, Australia)
* National Jet Systems Pty Ltd (Adelaide, Australia)
* Surveillance Australia (Adelaide, Australia)

But be prepared; HR and the bean counters between them run these companies. Do your homework / research. A bad or even an uncertain attitude will terminate an interview quicker than anything.

Good Luck.