PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Skype Down?
Thread: Skype Down?
View Single Post
Old 24th Dec 2010, 08:29
BEagle

Received 334 Likes on 116 Posts
Ah yes - the pre-STD days when you would ring 0 for the operator, then ask for a 'trunk call' to somewhere beyond the local exchange. A few minutes later, he/she would call back and put you through...

Only a few years ago, UK inland calls were distance based - and it was cheaper to ring 'abroad' after 2000 during the week.

Remember the joy of the 'pips'..?

Or 'party lines' which you had to share with a neighbour?

I see from my records that, in 1991 my first cellphone (in the car) cost me £27 per month subscription and that peak time calls cost 25p per minute outside London or 33p per minute inside....

Even in 1985, virtually no-one had a home 'answering machine' - and home fax machines were unheard of!

People who've never had to struggle with shoving coins into a GPO public callbox and who can now call world-wide from a 3G phone for peanuts should be very grateful!

Skype is another excellent innovatiion, but it still has some limitations. It now seems to be fully restored; one hopes that most Skype engineering work will concentrate on reliability and quality issues rather than geeky gimmicks.