PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Royal Navy pilots please come in!
View Single Post
Old 28th Aug 2002, 18:30
greenhaven

roto pennae veneficus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Interesting comments, chaps, i remember being in a similar position to Speedbird around 7 years ago. I was lucky enough to get a Flying Scholarship when you were still awarded 30 Hours (much cheaper jump to PPL then). Academically, i wasn't brilliant, scraped A Levels and degree (albeit an Engineering degree) but i was motivated and just a little bit lucky i guess...

Anyway, now a 1st tourist on ASW Sea King Sqn (that narrows it down some then doesn't it!!), still thoroughly enjoying the flying, although as is common with all RN Aircrew, secondary duties / divisional work playing an increasingly large part of my day-to-day work. Not something you think about at Dartmouth that much. Certainly a few of my colleagues are looking to do their return of service and go civvy, whilst an equal number are looking to make the jump to "light blue".
Why is this?
Well, in spite of the fact we are Navy, it still comes as a shock when the ******s actually send us to sea!! Personally i don't mind it but there are some who hate it with a passion. Most of my oppos joined as aircrew first, sailors second (in spite of what might be said "in public" as it were). Not wishing to go down the "why not join the crabs then?" route as i'm merely sounding off here (and RAF go to sea a fair bit now anyway...), but on top of the Dartmouth / training nause to get front line, I hope our aspiring aviator can embrace the "Navy" part of a career flying for the Fleet Air Arm, make that point clear at AIB and above all, remain focused on the end result.