PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Quit Aviation Now. There are No Jobs
View Single Post
Old 23rd Dec 2010, 22:07
Phalconphixer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just had a quick look at the Aviation Australia Website and a couple of things come to mind straightaway (well three actually...)

1) Avionics (quote)
This is a full time course consisting of 38 weeks of structured theory and practical tuition.

38 weeks to cover; Course Modules;

Mathematics
Aerodynamics
Physics
Electrical
Human Factors

Aircraft Aerodynamics & Flight Control Systems
Electronic Fundamentals
Aircraft Systems (Autoflight)
Digital Techniques

Aircraft Systems (Electrical)
Aircraft Systems (Instruments Pitot Static)
Aircraft Systems (Instruments Gyroscopic)
Aircraft Systems (Instruments Other)
Aircraft Systems (Communication)
Aircraft Systems (Navigation)
Aircraft Systems (Airframe)
Aircraft Systems (Propulsion)

Maintenance Practices Avionics
Maintenance Practices General
Basic Maintenance Practices Structures

Aircraft Structures
Aircraft Material and Corrosion
Aircraft Hardware
Aircraft Electrical Hardware

OH&S in Aviation

Aircraft Handling, Maintenance Procedures & Inspections

38 weeks doesn't even scratch the surface...

2) Mechanical (quote)
This is a full time course consisting of 38 weeks of structured theory and practical tuition.

3) Structures (quote)
This is a full time course consisting of 34 weeks of structured theory and practical tuition.

So you elect to do all three courses say; then what?

After a total of 110 classroom weeks you know all there is to know about aircraft right?

God's gift to the industry right?

Totally wrong; in fact you know next to nothing and to most employers who are looking for experience you are a total waste of space.

I cannot speak for the structures guys or the engine guys but for Avionics I would say this;

To fully comprehend just the communications aspect of avionics alone requires a minimum of 15 months of continuous training; and then there's 15 months of radar training.

It puts me in mind of the wunderkinds who passed out from Brunel College after obtaining the old 5 Avionics licences; Comms, Radar, Nav Systems, Electrics and Instruments. Brainy as bu**ery but for the most part, absolutely useless when let loose on an aircraft. The company I worked for before I retired, sponsored and employed such a person and frankly was pleased when said person decided to go back home to Oz.

Apprenticeships are few and far between in any walk of life these days; why should an employer legally tie himself to someone who may prove totally useless, when they can get some kid off the street who is as keen as mustard, pay him peanuts or whatever the government specified minimum wage is, and then kick him out when times get rough.

So for a 34 year old, probably what you say is true...

Too little, too late.

pp