PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Concorde question
View Single Post
Old 23rd Dec 2010, 19:01
CliveL

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Brit312
Not sure if I am on the same thread as others but there were definately strengthening straps / doublers fitted on the underside of the wing outboard of the engines, which were on a wing root/wing tip alignment. This surprised everybody as they seemed to go against all the need for limiting drag that had been impressed on us during the lectures.

These strengthening straps were fitted a few years after the start of service due to small cracks appearing in the outer wing, and only seen on BA aircraft. This was put down to the fact that in the early years BA Concordes flew heavy and subsonic for extended periods across Europe, on their route to Bahrain, whereas Air France aircraft always accelerated shortly after take off

Also either side of the engines there were two tubes on the underwing which went fore /aft. These tubes were the drain outlet for their respective engine dry bay and directed any fluid to the trailing edge of the wing.
Thanks Brit 312 (lovely aircraft - first one I worked on after joining Bristols) that has cleared my mind.

If there were spanwise straps fitted to BA aircraft after a few years in service that was after my time. They would be a sort of 'crack stopper' and despite the drag would have to go spanwise to carry the loads and would have to be external at that stage in the aircraft life. They would give some additional bending stiffness, but not very much I think. they are probably invisible in any photographs I have - the 'fairings' I have been chuntering on about are the dry bay drains you have just described.

I must admit I am surprised by your remarks on the thrust recovery nozzles though.

CliveL