PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Improving the industry
View Single Post
Old 23rd Dec 2010, 16:11
v6g

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 170to5
And v6g, you could allow unlimited PPL issue, but perhaps only allow a certain number of pilots to then go and get a CPL qualification? as many sub-paraghraphs could be written as you want to get the result you want!
But that would exclude a large number of people who want to (and I believe should have the right to) improve their knowledge and abilities for personal gain (yes there really are people out there who do that).

Originally Posted by 170to5
As for your longer post - I assume then that you aren't a pilot (if you are I think I've flown with you!)- I hope that your industry isn't affected by the 'we'll find someone cheaper' nightmare that flying has sustained - at least not to the level we have.
Au contraire, my friend. I have a CPL and an instructor rating and instruct in my spare time. This is the best of both worlds, I have a well-paid stable career (the recession has been difficult since you ask, but experience and hard work is still remunerated accordingly), I choose when I want to fly, and more importantly, I choose when I don't want to fly.

I did my PPL for fun, built hours for fun. Then I thought, "Why not do the CPL training?" - it was fun and I wanted to improve my skills at my hobby. In the early days I didn't think too much about where it was taking me - it was a hobby.

If there was ever a magical moment when I concluded that it was a career for schmucks, then it was when I was doing my CPL at the same airfield as a large integrated school. I noticed that a large percentage of the integrated kids would spend most of their non-flying time in the afternoons standing outside smoking. Now, I've seen some pretty dumb things, but seeing kids who are investing their parents home equity in a career that depends entirely on prolonged good health, standing around smoking (ignoring the fact they were also pretty close to an aircraft) was when I fully appreciated that aviation today is a career for naïve numb-nuts. Add into the mix their Rolexes and BMW's (what kind of life skills are these parents instilling in their children??) and I became more and more convinced I'd made the right choice keeping it as a hobby.

The difference between the "cool-dudes" going into aviation today and the "astute professionals" in proper careers is quite profound.