PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - When will airlines start preparing safety cases?
Old 23rd Dec 2010, 04:44
PBL

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I keep hoping for some reasonable commentary on this thread, because safety cases, arguments for attainment of the safety goals of a critical installation, are a key part of modern safety practice. So I keep coming back when a new post shows from someone other than the most frequent contributor.

I have pointed out that aviation does have safety cases. For aircraft, they are the documentation that justifies the airworthiness certificate. For airlines, they are the documentation that justifies the operators certificate.

The person called "Shell Management" is unfortunately providing a lot of misleading information on safety-case matters. I do suggest that the best way to find out about safety cases is reading up on them oneself, or corresponding with someone like me who really knows.

Just to show my point, let us take:
Originally Posted by Shell Management
safety case methodology and SMS ...... Shell invented these techniques in the early 1990s in response to Piper Alpha.
A quick look at the Cullen report, and consequent legislation, will show that companies started performing safety cases because that was recommended by Cullen and turned into UK law.

Cullen's recommendation did not come out of nowhere. It is not true that Shell invented safety-case techiques. Question, for those really interested in serious discussion of these matters: who (which organisation or organisations) did?

BTW, loci classici for safety-case methodology are to be found at the UK MoD, at the company Adelard, and at the University of York computer science department.

PBL