PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Credit Card protection, an urban myth?
View Single Post
Old 22nd Nov 2001, 19:54
carbheatcold

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

singaporegirl,

Good advice on your last post. I copied this from the search facility of the link you placed:

You may have some extra protection if you make payment using a credit card. If you have a claim against the seller for breach of contract or misrepresentation - for example if goods were not supplied, were not as described or were faulty - you may also have a claim against your credit card issuer. This could also be useful if the seller goes out of business.

This applies to goods or services costing more than £100 for one item (but less than £30,000), even if you have only used your card to pay a deposit.

Your right to make a claim against the credit card issuer in these circumstances comes under section 75 of the Consumer Credit Act 1974. Further information on section 75 is available on this web site . Further advice can be obtained from your local trading standards department or Citizen's Advice Bureau.

Remember, you do not have the same protection if you pay by a debit or charge card.
Having had to fight a bank to pay up for its joint liability when a health club I joined went bust. I can only imagine the fight that would be necessary to get back the cash portion as well BUT in view of all the recent problems with Training schools I would guess that it is essential to pay something by the credit card.