PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PPL, where to start
View Single Post
Old 22nd Dec 2010, 22:12
Oldpilot55

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How quickly do you want to get your licence? In the UK it will take you between 1.5 to 2 years given where you are and the distance that you will have to travel to get training.
I've learned to fly 3 times. The first when I lived 30 minutes from the airfield and that took 2 years. The second time 45 minutes from the airfield and that took 1.5 years. The third time I lived on the airfield and that took 3 weeks. The third time was in Florida and the experience was more intense, the school was organised so that you came away with a licence and the cost was hugely less. I enjoyed it immensely...other students were there to build hours or ratings so there was a mix of serious and hobby pilots.
In the UK weather is a huge factor but it was also the attitude of the club and school that I learned with. In Florida they were geared to getting you through the exams, in the UK less so. There was less pressure and less professionalism.
Other folk will tell you different so do ask about. I'm perfectly sure everyone on here will give you an honest opinion based on their experiences which will differ from mine.
The golden rule is do not pay upfront unless by credit card.