PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Is it really so bad?
View Single Post
Old 22nd Dec 2010, 21:55
CharlieDeltaUK

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is it really so bad?

I'm new to flying - still a PPL student. So, I'm starting to read around the subject and soak up knowledge with the aspiration of eventually being safe and competent.

But, what do I find? Looking at this forum, I'm beginning to think that I'm doomed to be surrounded by conflict and disdain....there's an ongoing theme about ATCOs apparently thinking that GA pilots are a nuisance at best and a liability at worst. There's talk of how EASA is going to spoil everyone's fun. There's threads explaining why most PPLs don't even bother to keep up their licence. There is seemingly a mountain of materials full of acronyms which are there to provide sport for those who revel in showing how most people misunderstand and are simply inept. I see there are debates from the professional pilots about whether GA pilots should ever be let loose in a cockpit. There are posts which suggest that the weather will defeat any serious attempt to actually go somewhere, and if the weather doesn't stop you, controlled airspace will...and so it goes on

I haven't seen such despondency until we had our first kids and everyone seemed to gleefully tell us how it was going to be hell for the next 18 years.

Are you all trying to warn off mere mortals before we get out of our depth?