PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - british airways tristar
View Single Post
Old 22nd Dec 2010, 20:31
Shaggy Sheep Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I flew Manchester - New York and back on a BA Tristar for a work assignment a long time ago. Flashing my PPL got me the jump seat for the take off from Manchester and fully endorse what has been said above; one sat higher than and just behind the Captain so an excellent forward view, and that side window was like sitting beside a big patio window at home, but up in the air!

One felt totally exposed. I remember physically ducking as we flew through some scattered cu on that take off!

It was many years ago and I had to travel Economy in those days, but on my way back from the flight deck as we crossed Ireland I met the Business Class drinks trolley and got G&T in a proper BA glass! The steward in Economy was happy to keep on refilling it for the rest of the journey, however! I still have that glass despite a couple of decades of subsequent Business and First class travel! I also have a momento of my first ever First class flight - a Singapore Airlines teaspoon!

The return journey in that Tristar was the only time I've got an unrequested upgrade - to Business. Partly I think because we were in our suits having come straight from a meeting, and partly because we checked in early (we're a bit overbooked down the back. Would you two gentlemen like an upgrade?). Which was nice, 'cause we got those comfy seat for the night flight home.