PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - French Concorde crash
View Single Post
Old 22nd Dec 2010, 18:18
wings folded

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unless of course in american society the most important aspect of an accident is the legal scrum for damages. Because if we were not at all interested in the safety aspect from a legal perspective, then naturally a mechanic has less money in the bank than the company.

Now, I do not want to be accused of American bashing, but it is an unavoidable part of that culture that searching for what in my industry is known as the "deep pocket" is inate.

That means you go after corporations. That means that even if your own actions may have been less than prudent, you sue anyway, and either you win, or you might be bought off.

I do not aver that this approach is wrong per se, it is simply different from the way things are dealt with in Europe.

Finding a Continental mechanic to be wanting in his professional competence is a matter of judgement. Again, I repeat that the "criminal" sanction (for those still unable to differentiate delit and crime) demanded by the prosecution, and handed down by the court, was a suspended prison term, with obviously no practical impact on this individual.