PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Recent shenanigans at Heathrow
View Single Post
Old 22nd Dec 2010, 17:22
Capt Kremmen

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Recent shenanigans at Heathrow

Other Pprune contributors at least as long in the tooth as myself, will remember the tragic circumstances surrounding the snow covered runway accident - was it Manchester and did it feature a BEA Elizabethan turbo prop - carrying the Manchester United football team, most of whom were killed in the crash that followed an attempted departure from a snow covered runway.

I recall - and my memory is imperfect - that the AAIB investigation concluded that a build up of slush/snow under and in front of the a/c wheels was responsible for its failure to reach V1. I don't know whether the a/c was at MAUW.

The chaos at Heathrow and other places where 4 or 5 inches of snow lay deep and crisp and even prompts me to enquire as to the feasibility of successfully operating large jets with their available thrust capability enhanced by a limit on their all up weight.

Is anyone aware of any experimentation with heavy commercials and a range of payloads and fuel in snowy conditions ? It might be feasible to replicate the aforementioned with the help of some well designed computer software.