PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Quit Aviation Now. There are No Jobs
View Single Post
Old 22nd Dec 2010, 16:11
SNS3Guppy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Right a little bit more background for those who have not read my other posts.

I have completed both mechanical and avionics exams to EASA standard. I finished at the top of my mechanical class. I did avionics to broaden my appeal to potential employers (and to actually get a mechanical license there is a requirement to have completed Modules 3 and 4 I believe but to a lessor standard). My ultimate aim is to be qualified in both. If pressed I would prefer avionics first but it really doesn't matter.

All my instructors have rated me favourably and I have seen their evaluation of me as being excellent. I got on well with classmates, did the work, understood the tasks, worked as team player, understood the concepts, etc. I really struggle to see how this does not translate into a least an interview.

I have applied for something like 14 roles in the past year. I didn't really care where they were (e.g. NT, WA, north Qld, etc) or who they were. Despite all of the above I CANNOT get an interview. I have asked repeatedly for employer feedback and it is not readily forthcoming. In particular my agency makes out that is the responsibility of employer and not them. Yet after so many goes can they at least explain to me why I have not at least made an interview.
This is important information because much as you seem to feel others are followers of your posts, what you've established is that you have no experience. You've made a grand total of 14 job applications. You're fresh out of school and have never worked in the industry, and therefore have no idea what you're talking about. You haven't scratched the surface when it comes to looking for work, and speak as though you're willing to give up before you get started.

This is important because it means your initial post has no credibility. Sorry you feel despondent about the state of the industry, but you haven't even started yet. It's a little early to give up. If you give up this easily, this early, then you were out of place in this business before you ever began.

QANTAS recruitment is now run by HR. I failed QANTAS psychometric evaluation and only because I pressed them did I get any answers.. The days of being the best are gone and now you have to conform to a "standard". Fall outside of the standard and you are not wanted.
More important information. You failed a psych exam because of your attitude.

How do you know what the good old days were like? You never worked in them.

You're aware that working for an airline is all about standardization and conforming, right?

You feel that you couldn't get the job because Qantas isn't looking for the best, but for conformists. What makes you think that having come from school, seeking work as an apprentice, with no experience, that you're "the best?" Little wonder you failed the exam.
Why is it that lesser quality students are GIVEN employment (the lowest two in my class were practically given jobs) yet the more capable are still wondering what they are lacking. When half my class are employed before or when they leave the school, it leaves a very sour taste in my mouth when months later nothing has changed for me.
Perhaps you're not as top-flight as you think.

Perhaps employers prefer to hire an employee who's just a little more humble and a lot less arrogant. You don't have the experience or background to support your arrogance. Drop it, and you might stand a chance.