PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Qantas appoints new 'Head of Safety'
View Single Post
Old 22nd Dec 2010, 11:26
teresa green

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sunfish you have been reading my mail. After THAT year, in a attempt to keep my family in Australia, I got a job with BASI, along with another TAA pilot, and joining us was one Ansett pilot. Now bearing in mind the three of us had not done anything else but fly aircraft, we were hardly public service material, but with around about 40 thousand hours between us, you think we would know something, No. We were all assigned positions as crash investigators, and dutifully turned up to work in CBR where we learnt, (1) not to upset the Raafie Chappies, who basically ran it, (2) that many clubs were run out of the office including cricket, car, orchid ( fair dinkum) and any accidents or incidents were not allowed to interfere with the running of the above clubs. (3) that you started work at 0830 and finished work at 1700, and nothing but nothing interfered with that, and you also learnt that to try to get back into the office at 1659 could cause you to die, as the lemmings came down the stairs like a soccer mob out of control, quite capable of walking over the top of you, in their desperate need to get out. (4) that any knowledge displayed by us, was sneered at, (what would civil pilots know) and we were seen by some, as smart arses and had to wear, at times, Mr. Hawkes "overpaid bus drivers" remarks, as well as the RAAF'S total Sh%ts about their aircraft used as PAX airliners. Finally we made it out into the field where we were much happier (we knew nothing about office politics, water cooler gossip, or he said, she said, stuff) and even if at times it was very confronting, at last you could talk to engineers and people who spoke your lingo. Needless to say we did not stay long, and all took OS flying jobs, packed up and left. Now I am sure things have changed, (I hope) and CASA is a different operation, from that era and mindset, but it gave me insight into public service thinking of which I was completely oblivious to. Things I learnt which might be of help in dealing with govt depts.(1) Never state the bleeding obvious. (to easy) (2) always take three to four copies of any paperwork when dealing with them (they are likely to lose at least 2 of them) (3)Try to get the name of the person your dealing with (it normally sounds like "haveajarofvegemite") (4) be prepared to wait. (Especially if a Govt cheque) (5) keep trying, ( I have known of people who had success, normally just before they died) (6) STAY on the flight deck, DO NOT consider a govt job, YOU ARE NOT SUITABLE!