PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - LOM approach procedures
View Single Post
Old 22nd Dec 2010, 09:26
Agent153Orange

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Of curiosity, is the procedure to which you refer entitled a "LOM" approach? Generally speaking, one can't have an LOM if one doesn't have an ILS or localizer. The procedure will normally be labeled as an NDB (or NDB/GPS) approach.

Just to be clear, you're talking about this procedure being flown on instruments, correct? If it's a visual approach to land, then the procedure may be irrelevant.
No and yes, in that order. As I've already said before, the Coral Harbor beacon is not an LOM associated with an ILS system (there's no ILS at that field), but an NDB off the approach end of Runway 34, aligned with the runway centerline, and the only reason I ever (wrongly) referred to it as an LOM is to distinguish it from an NDB that was not aligned in this way. You can forget that I ever called it an LOM. And BTW, I don't have the approach plates for this particular field (though I do for several others, including Pueblo, CO, Oostende, Belgium, Quito, Ecuador, and all three of the Berlin airports).

As for whether the procedure is being flown on instruments: Yes, of course! Where would all the suspense be if Heather (that's my heroine's name, BTW) could fly the approach visually? As a matter of fact, she's flying the approach in the daytime, but with a solid overcast only 500 feet above the field, visibility at runway level being 1 mile in a pouring rain, and with a 20-knot crosswind gusting to 27 to boot, as well as severe icing between 4000 and 7000 feet. Sounds like real fun, doesn't it?