PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Alouette
Thread: Alouette
View Single Post
Old 22nd Dec 2010, 08:48
enstrompilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Allouette II - clutch

info provided by Helibouy is spot on

I have heard comment that once clutch is engaged allow engine/rotor RPM to continue until the RMP steadies a little higher than the engagement point (say 28000 rpm) then reduce the throttle a little let the RPM drop a tad, then continue to open the throttle to flight idle

another approach I have heard from 'old hands' is to cease advancing the throttle once engagement occurs, let the RPM increase to above the engagement point but just hold at RMP for (say) 10 sec before progressing further.

the explanation is that this helps the shoes in the clutch 'bite' and stops further slipping

it may add something or may be an 'old pilots tale', it seams it would do little harm (dont reduce RMP to the point where the engagement is lost) and anything that extends clucth life has to be good practice

I have been told a clutch will last 1000 hrs if handled carefully, overheating by excessively fast RPM rise burns out the shoes, signs are bubbled paint on Clutch and high initial engagegemnt RPM.

I heave heard of clutched being 6000 Euro, there is limited supply ( I have a few new spares) but clutches, like MR and TR blades anf TR heads are likely to be the life limiting components for the long term for AL2's

I hope this helps

Ian