PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Concorde question
View Single Post
Old 22nd Dec 2010, 07:28
M2dude

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MrVortex
I'm wondering that does the auto-stab function in yaw axis does apply some rudder when pilot fly the aircraft by his hand to prevent the sideslip or dutchroll or not?
Concorde had triple-axis auto stabilisation, where pilot demands were routed via an AUTOSTAB COMPUTER and summed with any stabilisation demands. There was automatc roll/yaw crossfeed, where for a given roll demand there was a coresponding amount of rudder applied, the amount of which was a function of Mach number. As far as 'dutch roll' etc the autostab system employed rate gyros in the same way as a conventional 'yaw damper' would operate in an inferior (oops, my bad.. I mean SLOWER) aircraft.
Also, does the auto stab does "modify" some pilot input to minimize the effect of the turbulence all the time when airplane encounter the turbulence or only when the AP are in the "TURB" mode? Does it help to reduce the stress on the aircraft like the "load alleviation" on the moder aircraft like A380?
The AUTOSTAB operated full time, irrespective of AFCS mode. (Perhaps EXWOK, NW1 or one of the other boys will confirm that TURB mode was seldom EVER used in airline service. It was a (if I remember correctly) a Pitch/HDG hold autopilot mode with reduced gain).

Best regards
Dude