PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BAA Board; Isn't it about time at least one of them resigned?
Old 22nd Dec 2010, 06:09
FlightCosting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A BBC report sheds some more light on what is happening at LHR and why LGW is doing better.

Earlier this year, BAA published an investment programme of £5.1bn for Heathrow over five years, of which £500,000 was invested in snow and ice-fighting technology this year, with another £3m planned for the next four years.
By comparison, reports suggest that Gatwick Airport, which is half the size of Heathrow and was sold by BAA last year, spent £1m on snow and ice this year and plans to spend another £7m next year.
Heathrow's "snow fleet" is made up of 69 vehicles; Gatwick's is a reported 150.
Not surprising that with twice the size and half the equipment that LHR can not cope.

Mind you BAA have found one supporter in the form of 'Aviation Expert'? David Learmount,

"Even if we did throw dollars at it, our weather is different to the weather that the Scandinavians get. The equipment that they use would not win against the kind of weather that we had,"
Planet Earth to David Learmont
Snow is snow I can assure him that the white stuff that I have been shovelling from my driveway is the same as that that fell on LHR just that I had over a foot to clear as did NYO and ARN