PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Stuff I read while learning PPL
View Single Post
Old 21st Dec 2010, 19:57
SunnyDayInWiltshire

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Books don't make money

@adhawkins: I think compiling your experiences into an easily digestible form and promoting it would be a good idea in principle, but only if done for the right reasons.

Your blog is already easily accessible and follows a clear structure, but formatting as an book with some careful review, topping and tailing would appeal to prospective and current UK PPL students.

Formatting and self-publishing as a book with ISBN number can be done for almost no cost, including being listed on Amazon. You can also publish on Kindle and other eBook formats for free too. Don't underestimate the amount of time it takes to do this properly (proof reading, formatting etc) though. If you want to promote it (being on Amazon with millions of other books doesn't generate sales by default) that takes a lot of time too.

Since the cost of this is almost entirely your own time and effort, probably best to give away free eBook (printed version at cost). There are books around that describe the PPL course but few if any describing it from the student's viewpoint.

Alternatively, there is a real lack of a decent book about the IMC qualification, outside the technical coursework.

Good luck if you choose to proceed.

@bumitch: pleased to say the licence appeared 2 weeks after posting off all the paperwork. Somewhat unimpressive piece of paper that understates the effort and cost of obtaining it.

As an addendum, I'll add a couple of great books to read after passing the test which I think I'll come back to again and again. I've read many others but these worked best for me.

- Clearer Horizons by James Allan (AFE)
- Beyond PPL by Nigel Everett