PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CARDIFF
Thread: CARDIFF
View Single Post
Old 21st Dec 2010, 17:51
Cardiff Spotter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Collapse Of Cardiff Airport

I know this is a very negative post but this is the end of a disappointing year at Cardiff International. With BMIBaby reducing to one based a/c over the summer, Thomas Cook reducing their passenger capacity by bringing in the A320 and Air Lingus Regional reducing their involvement at Cardiff I just really want to ask what is ever going to happen at CWL

We all realise that the aviation industry is in a bad state but others are succeeding where we are not, and who is to blame? For me all fingers point at the management team, there is no ambition, no drive and no exciting and radical ideas for the future, without this there is NO CHANCE of the airport having any success in the future.

For an airport of Cardiff's size (I am not talking about the runway - Like everyone else is obsessed with!) the site is wasted, 747's blocking up useful space on the taxiway, a scrap heap south side with several aircraft that have not moved for years and a terminal building that is dated, run down and unwelcoming.

I think that if the airport is going to get anywhere in the next year serious money needs to be invested, and that will require someone who is bold and brave and able to steer our very troubled welsh ship through some difficult times. I am not just talking about new operators and routes, because that is worth nothing in the long run if the infrastructure is not able to support it. The management need to consider the airport from a passenger’s point of view, from the time of booking till getting in the sky. Where is the airport getting advertised? Catering at the airport - it is shocking, a part-time Burger King and an over-priced breakfast bar that isn’t even good! All the wasted space before security, including the upstairs area reserved for 'Conference Rooms', An appalling security department where I have never seen more than one detector open creating long queues preventing people from spending the well needed cash that the airport needs airside, can I suggest that the management team look at security at any other airport to see how to make an improvement (I suggest you look at how BRS do it/maybe have a priority lane - could be used for extra cash!) When airside there should be more areas to get food, look at how things are run airside at other airports, I know it is essentially a holding pen for waiting passengers but why should it look and feel like that!

Moving onto airlines and routes - What are the airport doing to get new operators into the airport and for existing airlines to set up new routes? Are there any incentives for the airlines to operate out of us? It is the airports responsibility as well as the airlines to promote new routes and encourage passengers to fill the seats on the aircraft

The airport need to forget about small based cargo operators, this will not create any money, if they want to get involved in cargo the airport need to get a large operator into the airport, give them some land, reduce the fees and make it worth coming to CWL. Then once there is a cargo operator established the road and rail links may start to improve. Small operator = Not worth it. Big operator = Potential for something exciting to happen!

Time to get rid of Baby! I think it is, they may not be preventing other airlines from coming to Cardiff but they might be putting them off, if they can’t make it work why will other airlines take the risk to try and make it work. The Jet2 and FlyBe rumours are great BUT they are only rumours! Has anyone actually heard or seen any Jet2/FlyBe management - NO! BMIBaby have had their chance and are now just messing around, they want to move on and that is what CWL should do. If Baby look like they are failing why would a successful airline like FlyBe want to take over!

I think that is my mini CWL outrage over with

Merry Christmas everyone! I hope that for everyone at Cardiff Airport 2011 is a more successful year!