PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How does KLM get away with such poor customer service
Old 21st Dec 2010, 16:11
Capetonian

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sitting here at Schiphol waiting for my flight, just having spent a couple of days in Holland, I feel that the Dutch generally do customer service rather better than just about any other nation in Europe. They speak excellent English, and do so with pleasure, and often several other languages. They are efficient and usually well-informed, without the somewhat abrasive manner of their German neighbours. I found the same when I lived here, so this is not just based on casual observation.

Many trains and flights are disrupted, but I've seen passengers stressed out, tired, and anxious, being treated with kindness and empathy by NS (Rail) and KLM employees in the last couple of hours.

If you really want a nation that doesn't 'do' customer service, it's the French. The Spanish, Greeks, and Italians often don't speak adequate English and are generally incompetent and and poorly trained in customer facing positions. The only ones that come close to the Dutch are the Swiss.