PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Glass Cockpit introduction in type ratings.
Old 21st Dec 2010, 15:34
Piltdown Man

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is a jet really that fast? If you want to fly a jet low level in a pattern with light aircraft, then you do have to be a bit slick, but you don't learn to do that even in a light single from day one. Your first clutch of the light aircraft is normally in the training area after the instructor has taken off and flown it there. Recently I converted to the Embraer 170/190 and in our own TQ program there is only 18 hours of self study before getting into the sim. Fire it up, taxi it around a bit and whoosh, off you go. Plug in the autopilot and see how that works. Let's face it, there aren't that many functions - there are more in a web browser. At a safe height, fly by hand and make a few approaches. With appropriate instruction, there is no problem in taking this method. The E170/190 is also considerably more complicated to operate than the Fokker 70/100, my previous type. My understanding is that very few people, including 250 hour newbies, find this approach difficult on either type. It's just a matter of having instructors who are up to the task and a properly written TQ program which doesn't insist on excellence from day one. And we have eight, four hour sessions in the sim before the test.

Our particular method is to get right into the autopilot (AFCAS) and introduce manual flying when you have something to hang your hat on. When you understand the displays, then you can get the information to enable you to hand fly. As this is happening, you introduce FMS functions (LNAV) functions before moving on to failures.

If there is a failing in glass cockpit tuition, may I suggest that it is in not making the trainees "mode aware". Once you can see the active mode, can see the armed mode and know when it will change you will be ahead of the plane. And may I also suggest that the biggest hurdle for your guys might be that they are now flying as a part of multi-crew operation instead of single pilot.

And finally, in your opinion, which technique offers the greatest confidence builder in the student?
Just the confidence that they can get it wrong, learn from it and give it another go.

PM