PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Crossair Flight 850 accident, 10 July 2002
Old 21st Dec 2010, 14:06
RatherBeFlying

Received 40 Likes on 19 Posts
Racing by Trespassers

I can imagine that 2500m of paved runway in an out of the way place is a big temptation to bootleg racers. Doubtless the locals would be more annoyed by tires squealing and engines revving up at 2 am. than by a few a/c movements during the day.

Our glider club is attractive to off road racers as well even though all surfaces are grass -- and vulnerable to getting gouged by energetic maneuvers We are dependent upon our neighbors to keep an eye and ear out and phone the police when needed.

Likely the insurance company will be looking for recovery of the hull loss and I can see the lawyers for the several implicated parties pointing fingers at everybody else

Now if the pilots had had access to the radar picture in the report, I suspect they would have agreed that flying parallel to a CB front in the hope that they would get to an alternate before a CB did is simply a recipe for painting yourself into a corner as your fuel is used up -- and would have looked E or NE for an airport safely well away from the front.