PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SNOCLO
Thread: SNOCLO
View Single Post
Old 21st Dec 2010, 11:58
anotherthing

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OK LL did not have so many movements but it also only had 3 terminals and associated ramps.
Kind of explaining yourself why your argument is moot. Heathrow this year has suffered snow and abnormally cold weather. They have more movements than when you describe, and more infrastructure to clear. They are running a limited operation... probably about the same level as the days of yore that you are talking about...

If the last really bad weather you can think of was 1963, do you honestly believe that it is financially prudent to have the level of snow clearance abilities that you and others seem to think we should have? Stuff just sitting round for 40-50 years in the chance of a very severe winter?

I can guarantee that airports will have weather disruption written into their business plan, and will allow for a certain amount each year as being
commercially acceptable versus cost of having extra equipment. This year had been an exception weather-wise.

I'm no fan of BAA, far from it. In general airfield operators have dicked about this year and caused havoc which ATC then has to deal with (my opinion) - but poor management/lack of willingness to make a decision aside, they (airfield operators) are having to deal with extraordinary (UK talking) weather.

Interesting to see on BBC website that as well as bashing the UK, you can, if you can be bothered to look, find more balanced reporting where it states other countries are struggling as well...

Also, BBC News yesterday tried to find stranded foreign interviewees who would condemn the UK... the majority stated that it was to be expected due to the severe weather and that their countries are the same. Cue one disgruntled BBC reporter